International Applicants

International applicants and applicants whose native language is not English will be required to show proof of English proficiency and U.S. degree equivalency. 

English Proficiency Exams

Our programs require students to engage in group discussions, class participation, and oral presentations. In order to be successful in these programs, students must possess a high proficiency in written and oral English.

Syracuse codes for English proficiency exams are:

  • TOEFL: 2823
  • IELTS: See Instructions Below

Applicants who are citizens of the following English-speaking countries are not required to submit test scores: Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Trinidad and Tobago, and the United Kingdom.

If you have worked or studied at an institution in the United States or an English-speaking province in Canada for more than four years, you may be eligible to waive the English proficiency exam requirement. Contact an admissions counselor to learn more about test waivers.

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Instructions

Students may demonstrate competency by submitting scores from IELTS as an alternative to the TOEFL. Our institution requires an overall band score be submitted.

The School of Information Studies only accepts paper scores submitted by the IELTS test center. No electronic Test Report Forms will be accepted. An institutional code is NOT required. Please contact the test center directly where you took the IELTS test and request that your test scores be mailed Syracuse University, with the address below.

All IELTS test centers worldwide are able to send scores to our institution. You must provide the following information when requesting your scores:

Syracuse University
Graduate Admissions Processing
P.O. Box 35060
Syracuse, New York 13235-5060

U.S. Degree Equivalency

As an applicant to a Syracuse graduate program, you’ll need to provide official documentation of having earned at least a U.S. bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) in another country. Some Syracuse programs require a master’s degree, and this must be officially documented before enrollment as well.

Students interested in pursuing a doctoral degree are required by some programs to demonstrate a minimum of three years of study beyond the B.S. degree. It’s best to check what documents you’ll need with the staff in your individual program of interest. External link  In all cases, you must have graduated from a college or university that is recognized by the national educational authorities of that country.

You may also use World Education Services (WES) External link  to verify that your degree is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree. A WES credential evaluation makes it easier for admissions officers to understand your degrees, courses, and grades in U.S. terms.

  • Canada: A three-year bachelor's degree from Quebec or a four-year bachelor's degree from the other provinces.
  • Latin America: A university degree requiring four years of study.
  • United Kingdom and countries following the British pattern: A bachelor's degree with honors.
  • France and countries following the French pattern: A license, if earned under the terms of the Bologna Declaration, otherwise a degree or diploma requiring four years of study after the baccalaureate, usually the Maitrise.
  • Germany: A Bakkalaureus degree, if earned under the terms of the Bologna Declaration, otherwise completion of the diploma.
  • Other European countries: A university degree requiring a minimum of three years of study, if earned under the terms of the Bologna Declaration, otherwise a university degree requiring a minimum of four years of study.
  • India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nepal: A bachelor’s degree in engineering/technology or a master’s degree in any other field.
  • Other Asian countries: A university degree requiring four years of study.

To speak with an admissions counselor about applying, call Phone Number: 855-797-4478 or email us.