Master of Science in Information Management
Syracuse University’s School of Information Studies (iSchool) is nationally ranked and is a leading center for defining both the theory and the practice of information management. Through its Master of Science in Information Management degree, the iSchool prepares information professionals to design and manage mission-critical information technologies within organizations.
A Unique Approach to Information Studies
The MS in Information Management program takes an interdisciplinary approach to developing information management leaders. Students will explore topics such as organizational psychology, human-computer interaction, information economics, information policy, data science, cybersecurity, information technology, and enterprise technology management—all in the pursuit of addressing four critical challenges that organizations face:
- Increasing the effectiveness of managers and executives who work with information resources
- Designing and managing mission-critical information technologies within organizations
- Developing corporate and government policies to maximize the benefits resulting from the widespread use of these technologies
- Leveraging information resources to achieve strategic advantage for business, government, and nonprofit organizations
As students learn to hone their strategic vision, they will develop critical skills in management and organizational change, solution analysis and design, communication and collaboration, business process improvement, and applied information technology.
Available Program Tracks
The MS in Information Management degree offers two unique tracks of study based on students’ levels of professional experience:
- The 42-credit MS in Information Management degree track is available, online, full time, or part time and can be tailored to each student’s unique personal and professional schedule. This program track can be completed in as little as 21 months.
- The 30-credit MS in Information Management for Executives requires students to have six or more years of full-time professional experience in the information management field with a record of continuingly increasing job responsibilities. This program track is also available, online, full time, or part time and can be completed in as little as 15 months.
Certificates of Advanced Study (CAS)
To help students further develop specialized skills, the iSchool offers Certificates of Advanced Study (CAS) in Data Science and in Information Security Management. By adding a CAS to their master's degree, students can augment their graduate education and better prepare for a career in one of these dynamic fields.
A Flexible Online Learning Format
The online format of the program combines live weekly classes, multimedia coursework, and collaborative group learning exercises. The innovative learning technology platform helps students cultivate lifelong professional relationships and personally interact with a worldwide community of students and alumni—all while having the flexibility to continue working full time.
Courses are led by professors who bring a wealth of experience from the field directly to the classroom, helping students learn skills that are immediately applicable to their day-to-day work environments.